Thursday 29 January 2015

SAFETY

From a safety point of view with me being 17 and this being a school project, I was advised by my supervisor to conduct a risk assessment. It basically outlines my dad supervising me throughout construction etc. and using the necessary PPE like welding masks, gloves ETC.

In terms of whilst actually running the Pulsejet, I'm going to have ear protection to hand as with the jet being an acoustic resonator, it can be very loud. I fire extinguisher will also be close to hand just in case.
Bruce Simpson has said that the engine actually has more chance imploding/crumpling more than exploding so a shield won't be needed. I will keep the area facing the exhaust clear in case any hot metal particles are spat out. I will also keep the control board for the fuel and the gas canister as far away from the engine as possible so once it is started everyone can retreat and control it from a 'safe' distance. If I feel extra precaution is needed I could possibly approach the science department in school and borrow a perspex shield I've seen used to protect students during experiments/demonstrations but I don't feel this will be necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment