Monday 17 November 2014

MATERIALS/TECHNIQUES

From looking at various designs and recommendations in Bruce Simpson's book, I have found that all of the designs are made from either mild steel or stainless steel. As this will have an influence on how I make the pulse-jet, I will need to compare the two materials for suitability. I have decided to do this now because it will allow me to start practising my techniques such as metal rolling/welding which will need to be developed over time.

Mild Steel
Cheap
Easily welded
Rusts (oxidises easily)
Heavy

Stainless Steel
More aesthetically pleasing
Stronger/more durable
Lighter
More expensive
Has to be TIG welded (as opposed to MIG therefore more difficult)

I have decided to go with mild steel because although stainless performs better, price and workability are more important for this project.

My dad has a MIG welder that I can use to weld the pulsejet; I will need to experiment with the different feed settings and techniques for the type and thickness of the steel.
In terms of actually rolling the metal, my Dad has a set of slip rolls that I can learn to use also.

No comments:

Post a Comment