Sunday 1 February 2015

CONE TRIAL

I cut out the intake flare from the mild steel using an angle grinder; this seemed to work well enough even though it has a relatively tight inside radius. I also tried with tin snips but found this distorted the metal too much and was hard work. To roll the metal I put it in the roller and whilst rolling had my dad to keep the metal perpendicular to the roller.

The cone's dimensions are close enough to the desired measurements to make it feasible. The cone is slightly off-round in parts but with the metal being thin this can be altered by hand and welded in place. This cone looks reasonable enough to use on the actual pulsejet so i'm going to keep it; if the preceding cones are a similar sort of quality then I can use this, if they are better I can re-make it. 

When it was almost fully rolled I welded the come up so the edges met up well and put it back in the roller to improve it's shape. 




Also, if any of the cones have a tighter radius to cut, I can cut it roughly and once the cone is rolled sand down the top horizontally. 

The whole 2 person rolling job seemed quite a task so I looked on YouTube for tutorials and found one person who uses a guide clamped to the roller to turn the metal; I'm going to try this on the next cone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment